AAIA’s goal is to identify and serve the independent advisors and insurance professionals who are willing to hold themselves to the highest standards.
As such, in order to earn membership in the association, the following criteria must be met:
- Have no adverse action final orders for fraud or dishonesty or license revocation or surrenders based upon FINRA Broker Check, NIPR, and Financial Institutions searches within the past 5 years
- Have no convictions for any felony nor any crime involving fraud or dishonesty
- Have not filed for any personal or business bankruptcy within the last five years (exception made if filing was voluntarily withdrawn or in other specific circumstances)
- Successful completion of AAIA required Continuing Education (CE) training on Retirement Planning, Annuities, Social Security, and Ethics
- Keeping current with CE requirements in all states wherein producer is licensed to do business; and
- Maintaining active appointment with no fewer than 5 insurance companies for the purpose of life insurance or annuity sales (property/casualty insurance appointments do not apply)
Upon completion of your AAIA membership form, the Association will initiate its background screening process. First, AAIA will verify that you meet criteria item 1 by completing both a FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) Broker Check as well as reviewing your professional insurance history through the NIPR (National Insurance Producer Registry) database. Upon passing criteria item 1, AAIA will initiate a 5 year back ground check completed by Sterling Back Check (www.sterlingbackcheck.com). The Sterling Back Check encompasses membership criteria items 2 and 3.
Once you have successfully met criteria items 1-3, AAIA will send you a link to our continuing education platform (WEB CE) along with a voucher number (tuition for the courses is covered in your membership fee) so that you can commence the AAIA-required CE classes. You will also need to self-certify that you are current with all of your states’ CE requirements (this will also be verified through the NIPR database). As a final step, you’ll submit documentation of appointments with at least 5 carriers with whom you are in good standing for verification by the Association.
Once all 6 membership criteria have been met, you’ll receive your welcome kit and official membership certificate from the Association as well as information on how to access all the benefits afforded to you by the Association.